Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

21 Gun Salute

I met these boys on the road a few years back. Raka Festival if I remember correctly. But the first time I saw them play live was at the Purple Turtle about a year or two before that. I was pretty impressed back then; they were young and they were really good albeit drunk as hell, but shit I would have been drunk as hell at 19. I clearly remember they had a following, this group of young folks, like a family, loving this old sound. I got really into it and then came their finale: (and this is what struck me the hardest) everybody clambered onto the shitty little pallet stage, the whole "Guns" gang and chanted along with them, swaying along to the blues and proclaiming their lost religions and "getting their kicks before the whole shit-house goes up in flames" so to speak. Their music immediately spoke to me, reverberated inside me. I wanted to join their gang too. 

It was much later that we eventually met and became friends and shared stories, 
rapped about Nick & Tom and drunk drinks and shot breezes. 
Their growth from that first gig to "Shed your Skin" was straight up like a rocket. 
And now The Pretty Blue Guns are taking a break, maybe permanent, maybe not. Who knows.
All I know is that the music won't stop and that's a good thing. 

I wish them the best for the road ahead. Here are some pictures from the road behind.



















Stealing Jon's wine at 2 in the morning




























1 comment:

mallix said...

yep that was at the Purple Turtle with the Revelators about 2 years ago - got some pics from that night http://www.flickr.com/photos/mallix/3918336083/

Post a Comment